Monday, June 1, 2015

Claude's Commentary No. 66r2

Today at 8:22 AM
June 1, 2015

Claude’s Commentary No. 66
By Claude Hall

Floods in deep Texas.  More than a dozen dead.  Others missing.  A dam southwest of Dallas about to give way.  That entire part of Texas is a disaster area.  Meanwhile, Lake Mead is drastically low and California suffers intense drought conditions.  True, all infrastructure of America is in horrible shape.  Barrack Obama was never able to fulfill his promise about revitalizing the infrastructure.  But the “communication channels” I discussed in a previous Commentary would, to a great extent, alleviate that situation.  As you’ll recall, my communication channels would include super highways and super railroads as well as aqueducts for the transportation of water.  With considerable ease, a great portion of the flood that hit Houston and San Marcos, TX, could have been transported to Lake Mead.  If we don’t solve this problem now, when?

I have some relatives and close friends in the flood areas.  Woody Roberts and Joe Nick Patowski family are fine, as well as my numerous relatives.  Through a mutual friend, we tracked Bruce Miller Earle down.  He had missed the Wimberley flood.

OTHER MATTERS
Art Holt:  “I am in Albuquerque right now doing family stuff, so am in a pretty safe area. (I hope).  Enjoyed the Don Keyes comments.  He was a good friend as well as a good man to work with.  We also did spare time things … duck hunted and shot at doves out at Gordon’s ranch.  Glad to see him get some recognition.  Keep up the great work.”

Wally Newman:  “I have a radio show with an interesting funding model. Ernie Hopseker suggested I write and tell you about it.  I have enjoyed your columns since I started in radio in the late 1960s at KMPC.  I was a board engineer and had the privilege of working the Gary Owens weekend show.  In the early ‘70s I met Ernie at KGAL in Oregon.  I currently host a live radio show on KLTR-FM in Brenham, TX, playing music from the ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s.  Unfortunately advertisers aren’t much interested in listeners over 50 and at the end of last year I decided to pull the plug.  I told a couple of listeners and they rallied, formed the Society for the Advancement of Doo-Wop, and are paying me to stay on the air.  And they’ve set me up with some advertisers including the local Budweiser distributorship.  It’s the NPR ‘Listener-Sponsored’ funding model and no one is more surprised than me at the support I’ve received.  Could you please include me on your mailing list for Commentary?  Thank you for your years of service to the radio industry.”

Wally, welcome home.

Morris Diamond:  “Hello, Claude, a few issues back you had much conversation about books from various author-correspondents and the books they have written, wanna write or will write – and I got a kick out of it because for a long time I was a candidate for the ‘wanna write’ group – and I did it two years ago.  I am pleased at the reaction I received from those that have read the book which is the true story of my 75 years in the music industry.  The book is called ‘The Name Dropper’ -- subtitle:  People I schlepped with.  Amazon seems to indicate that they are selling the book.  I've been encouraged by readers with their comments – especially those that are not in our business.  For those who get bored with words, will find pleasure with many photos of people I schlepped with lo all these years.  Woody Roberts has written about Willie Nelson being at the age of  82.   I have ties older than that.  But I love to see Willie work … like a teenager … two years ago and I was amazed at his ability to carry a whole show.  I was also happy to see Chuck Dunaway's name showing up on your weekly newsletter.  I recall when my Beverly Hills Records label was doing pretty well.  I had just released a Jaye P. Morgan single of a great song, ‘A Song for You’.  It was getting good airplay all over the U.S. and sales were wonderful.  I got a call from a friend at Columbia Records that they are going all out on a new Andy Williams cover of the same tune.  That concerned me, needless to say.   I got on my bicycle and hit the road.  By the time I got to Cleveland, Andy's record was getting much airplay.  I was able to convince a few stations on my road trip to hang in with my Jaye P. Morgan record.  When I visited with Chuck, he did indicate that Columbia sent a number of radio stations a short letter advising them that they are going to buy time in the fall and to be on the lookout for Andy's record.  That was a very legitimate move and I couldn't blame those stations that had to heed orders from the upper brass.  But I always felt that Chuck Dunaway leveled with me and have always had respect for him.  Love to you and Barbara.”

Frank Boyle: “Claude, speaking of Country, Willie Nelson and Bill Mack -- you will recall that WBAP/Ft. Worth and WMAQ/ Chicago were the first 1A -- 50KW Clear Channel stations (of the 24 clears) to go Country.  WBAP changed, thx to Hal Chestnut/GM and Ted Norman/GSM -- owned by billionaire Carter Family who also owned WBAP-TV and Ft. Worth Star Telegram Daily newspaper.  As a classy opening promotion, WBAP bought 50 pairs of the then $150 Tony Lama custom cowboy boots for Christal, its National Sales Rep. for its Mgt and sales guys in its 10 national offices.  About a month later, Hal Chestnut got a call from Helen Davis, VP-head of media dept. at New York ad agency Doyle, Dane & Bernbach -- for American Airlines.  Helen said she knew that WBAP-AM had changed format to Country.  That Hal should know the Christal sales people were making fun of the change to ‘Shit Kickin' Music’.  And refused to wear the Tony Lama boots.  Biggest single stockholder in American Airlines was the Ft. Worth Carter family, owner of WBAP.  American Airlines was big advertiser on WBAP/ KSCS.  American's home base was Dallas/Ft. Worth.  My boss, Bob Eastman and his wife, Anne were on a cruise around Sweden/Norway.  I was his No 2. I got a call from legendary Sol Taishoff, founder and publisher of Broadcasting Magazine.  Sol said, ‘Frank, I'm calling you for the Carter family, owners of WBAP-AM/KSCS-FM in Ft. Worth.  They wonder if Eastman reps would consider repping their Ft. Worth radio stations. They and I know you already rep KXOL-AM there, and its group owned by long-time friend of the Carter Family -- Wendell Mayes, group owner from Brownwood.  That it would be a difficult decision for Eastman to make that change from one of your charter clients.  Having said all that, would you consider going to Ft. Worth to discuss such a change?  They are impressed with the job Eastman has done repping another 1A - 50KW Clear Channel station -- WMAQ-AM/Chicago owned by NBC that recently changed to Country’.

“I answered that any radio rep worth his salt would have to seriously consider repping one of the 24 most powerful radio stations in the nation. ‘Who should I call to make an appointment to fly down?’  He said, ‘Hal Chestnut.  His private number is –‘.  Then I asked Sol why was Sol calling us, not the Carter Family?  Sol said, ‘If you knew the Carter family -- they would not want to hear you say NO’.  We took the Carter family offer -- to rep WBAP/KSCS.  Their prior rep had done $180,000 in national sales last year.  We, Eastman, did $1,200,000 in our first year -- $7,500,000 in our biggest year.  Eight months earlier, I'd gotten a call from Jack Thayer, president NBC Radio, asking me to be at WMAQ/Chicago at Merchandise Mart Bldg. in two days for an emergency meeting with Charlie Warner and Bob Pittman, his PD.  At that meeting I met Bob Pittman for the first time -- knew Charlie when he was GM in Pittsburgh and hired Pittman there to be his 19-year-old PD.

“Bob Pittman came into meeting with a pony tail – jeans, Grandma Moses glasses, sweat shirt. He said, ‘Next Saturday WMAQ is going Country.  It'll be different from the other local Country station -- WJJD-AM. They play 1,500 tunes a week. WMAQ will be Top 40 Country.  We'll play The Hits -- maybe 100 a week.  With mind boggling promotions -- giving away new cars and new homes.  We're printing half a million badges -- saying ‘Listen to WMAQ is gonna make me rich’!  WMAQ went from 11th to second to WGN in 2 ARB Books.  Never looked back.  All the Nashville smartasses who originally made fun of Bob Pittman's Top 40 Country now came to Chicago to get on his knee asking: ‘How'd you really do this miracle?’  WMAQ and WBAP made it ‘couth’ for Agency Time buyers to buy time on what  they previously put down at ‘Shit Kickin' Music'.  Charlie and Bob got promoted to New York to run WNBC/ WYNY-FM.  WYNY-FM became No. 1 most listened to FM in whole USA.  At that time Eastman was privileged to rep WIRE-AM -- with Don Nelson/ GM – top-rated Country station in US.  Our most fun was repping Jim Phillips at Country KHEY, El Paso and KRIO, McAllen. Time Buyers were willing to pay us to bring Jim back to make calls on them. Stand up comedian -- did small rope tricks like Will Rogers.  Bill Mack/ WBAP/ KSCS (Silver Country Stereo) had Willie Nelson on the air often and together in WBAP's outside Concerts.  Claude, you personally can remember how tough it was for Country format to get accepted even by its local radio peers.  We at Eastman were proud to make Ad Agency and Advertiser calls with Tony Lama boots, big brass belt buckles, Stetson 10-gal hats.  I always wanted to be Tom Mix or Hopalong Cassidy.”

Great stuff, Frank.  Just FYI, there was a day when I wore boots in Los Angeles.  Worked out great in an MG.  Lord, but I loved that MG!

Allen Shaw: “I knew Ken Dowe was great at everything that had to do with radio but I did not know that he is also a great writer.  His recollections of Bill Stewart, Gordon and Mr. Mac were hilarious and insightful.  I still think you are the greatest writer, but Ken Dowe is not very far behind.”

Ken Dowe, like most of us, has been “around the horn.”  He has some great tales stored up.

Chuck Dunaway:  “Bill Stewart called me about 40 years ago and wanted to ask me some questions for a book on programming he was writing.  I’ll bet if you contacted his widow she could get a copy for you.  I’m sure they saved his memories. The last time I saw Don Keyes was at the second or third Texas radio convention ... the one Bill Young and I hosted in Houston.  Don was in the restroom and having a hard time breathing.  Dinner was going on and I offered to help ... he told me to go back to dinner and he’d be OK ... He had an inhaler and was using it to get his breath ... I have one now.  Don was sitting at our table and did return to dinner a few minutes later.  The lesson is do not smoke.  I was on the Kinney Jet coming back from a radio convention in California ... we made a stop in San Antonio to pick up Jerry Wexler ... he had Doug Sahm with him.  Jerry was very excited about Tex-Mex music at the time.  Take care.”

Me?  I’m still interested in Tex-Mex.  Part of my soul, I guess.  Just FYI, Don Whittemore also knew the LP.  I think Don Whittemore knows everything!  Just FYI, I wrote Bill Stewart’s daughter about that book.

Woody Roberts:  “I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses to your question.  You picked a real good one, ‘Wanted: The Outlaws’ was the first country album to go Platinum.  It was a fixup of old Waylon and Willie tracks and had songs by Waylon's lovely wife Jessie Colter and by Tomball Glazer.  The late Chet Flippo wrote the album notes, he also had reported to Rolling Stone Magazine on the initial Willie 4th of July Picnic.  Shortly after that event the writer moved with his wife Martha from Austin to NYC and into the RS offices.  Told me he just wanted to see what it was like in the Big Apple so would be back in a couple of years.  Chet never returned and instead moved to Nashville.  Nashville?  Go figure.  Waylon, Tomball and Chet are no longer with us.”

Just FYI, Woody Roberts bought me a copy of “Lorelie of the Red Mist” by Leigh Brackett and Ray Bradbury from Amazon.com.  My next read.  Right now, I’m about half way through “Son of Tarzan” by Edgar Rick Burroughs.

Bob Sherwood:  “Dear Kindly Ol’ Uncle Claudius, whilst ruminating on the tragic death of a 4-year-old child who shot herself in the face after finding a stolen gun in her New York City apartment and our government’s inability to enact intelligent, reasonable gun management laws I was suddenly reminded of the most powerful phrase I ever heard from an artist in four decades in radio and the music business.  It came from Johnny Cash’s recording of ‘Folsom Prison Blues’ – ‘But I shot a man in Reno.  Just to watch him die’.  I just went downstairs to listen to it and got the same chill I first got when playing it on KROY 47 years ago.”

I bought the Cash single and wore it out without ever removing it from the little RCA 45 rpm player that attached to my radio.  About guns.  I’m in Germany right after WW2.  In uniform.  I pass a gun shop.  Some of the most beautiful guns I ever saw.  Etched.  Single shots.  And, yes, any former Nazi could buy one.  The most beautiful guns were over and unders … shotgun with a rifle under, i.e. two shots.  We caught a German once carrying a rifle while we were on maneuvers in the Black Forest.  Turned out he was a game warden.  Yes, Germans had guns.  Me, I’m still nervous at the time about letting one cut my hair in the PX!  The Constitution that allowed us to carry weapons did not allow us to carry an AK-47.  Sorry.  I suggest a gun you have to load every damned time.  Give clay pigeons a chance.

Dick Carr:  “Claude ... I smiled with the mention of Frank Ward filling in on a weekend on WNEW.  When I was PD, I ran into him quite by accident at a NYC restaurant and we had lunch.  We recounted our days in Buffalo ... talked about 1957 when he was at WWOL and I was at WBNY. Dick Lawrence's ears must have been burning that day because we spoke of him.  Frank was intrigued with what it might be like to be a deejay on WNEW and I gave him the chance to do the Milkman show one holiday weekend. He sent me a bunch of notes about various equipment changes he recommended.  And then just like that, after his Sunday overnight show he was gone!  He left me a brief ‘thank you’ note and that was the last time I ever saw him ... the year was 1968.”

I heard that show.  It was great!  I hoped at the time that he was auditioning for a regular job as, as I recall, his deal with WWOL was over.

Herb Oscar Anderson:  “Storz ... Stewart ... I don't remember which one came up with the one hundred thousand dollar contest ... the contest to end all contests ... really ... it almost did ... hide a check for 100,000 dollars and give the clues on the air ... honest ... this in 1953 when a dollar was a dollar ... got a little hairy on WDGY.”

So, right HOA.  Now and then, we think “The Last Contest” was the biggest and the best.  But then we remember that Storz “Treasure Hunt.”  Whew!  Bill Stewart told me that people came in from Canada.

Al Herskovitz:  “This has nothing to do with your weekly missive (which I thoroughly enjoy).  But I’ve been meaning to relate this to you for some time.  A couple of years ago, while shopping in a neighborhood market here in Bradenton, FL, I was stopped by a total stranger because I was wearing a University of Connecticut teeshirt.  It turned out that he, too, was a UConn graduate.  While I had a couple of years on him in age, in conversation I went on to learn he was from my hometown of Bridgeport, and we even attended the same high school.  Further, he now currently lives just around the corner from my house here in Bradenton.  Werner Vogler is a General Motors executive who, previously, had been assigned by GM to deal with governments in Middle Eastern countries.  While in the Middle East he met and became a close friend of a U.S. official.  That American bureaucrat subsequently wrote a book that Werner thought I would be interested in reading. It was an account of the successful Israeli air attack on Iraq’s nuclear facility in 1981.  That American government official and author was Dan McKinnon.  In light of all of our other connections Werner was shocked that I knew him.  Yes, it was the very same McKinnon whom I had met through you at a Billboard convention in San Francisco when McKinnon owned KSON in San Diego.  We all went sailing together through San Francisco Bay on his yacht ... you, Barbara, Eileen, I and, as I recall, Jack Thayer. Talk about coincidence! A total stranger! Same hometown! Same High School! Same College! Accidental meeting in Florida!  Near neighbor!  Mutual friend!  You can’t make up stories like this!”

I really liked Don McKinnon.  Jack G. Thayer, of course was a member of this family.  Miss those guys!

Larry Irons:  “Hi, Claude: I know this is probably too long to post in its entirety, but because I first heard about this book on your blog, I wanted to let you know what I thought about it. If you do decide to post it, please feel free to edit it as you see fit.  I just finished ‘Psychedelic Bubblegum’ by Bobby Hart with Glenn Ballantyne.  This autobiography is entertaining, amusing, poignant, historical and very well written, and is a wonderful account of the struggles of trying to make it in the world of a songwriter and performer.  He chronicles the extreme ups and downs, both personal and professional, he faced along the way, and how timing, luck and faith in God had so much to do with his success.  Bobby Hart originally started out with the idea of becoming a disc jockey, even enrolled at the Don Martin School of Radio in Hollywood.  But LA radio was nothing at all like the country radio station he grew up listening to in Phoenix.  He thought the LA jocks sounded manic, nothing like the down-home, country-style jocks in Phoenix.  After a very short time in LA, his dreams of becoming a disc jockey quickly morphed into the idea of becoming a singer/songwriter.  From there he would add being a producer and publisher.  Along with other songwriting partners through the years, Bobby Hart has written some of the most iconic songs of the 60s and 70s.  With Tommy Boyce, the theme to the Monkees television show: ‘Hey, Hey We're the Monkees’, as well as ‘Last Train to Clarksville", "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone" and ‘Valleri’.  With Wes Farrell and Tommy Boyce, ‘Come a Little Bit Closer’ for Jay & the Americans.  With Bobby Weinstein & Teddy Randazzo, ‘Hurt So Bad’, which was written for Little Anthony & the Imperials and was covered by both the Lettermen and by Linda Ronstadt, and was one of the very few songs to ever reach the top 10 by 3 different artists in 3 different decades.  He writes openly and candidly about his legendary friendships with Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Peter Tork, Brian Hyland, Del Shannon, Clive Davis, Leon Russell, Paul Williams, Barbara Eden, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Michael Sembelo and many others.  And, of course, he writes extensively about his lifelong friendship and professional relationship with Tommy Boyce.  He also talks about the women with whom he had romantic and lasting relationships. Becky, his high school sweetheart and first wife.  Becky is the mother of his two sons, Bobby Jr. and Bret.  Claudia Jennings, who at the time was an actress, model and Playboy Playmate of the Year.  Claudia died tragically in an automobile accident October 2, 1979, at the age of 29; and his current wife, MaryAnn, whom he married in 1986.
.
“This book contains ‘life lessons’ which he attributes to his  new-found (at the time) spiritualism through the teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda, that helped him along the way and ultimately changed his life forever.  One of these lessons, that he had to learn the hard way, dealt with the concept of karma, which I found particularly amusing.  I won't give it away, but it deals with ‘borrowing’ another band's identity and hit song (without their permission or knowledge) and trying to cash-in on it.  Suffice it say it was a bad idea, and the lesson he learned (in his own words) was this: ‘A stubborn, unwanted action can often be avoided by thinking about its likely consequences before you do it, mentally following it through to its logical, misery-making conclusion’.  I'll close this with: I've read a lot of musical autobiographies and hands down this is the best.  Bobby Hart's easy going story-telling style coupled with his humility, sincerity and sense of humor, make this one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read. I know my endorsement doesn't mean squat, but if it were up to  me, I'd give ‘Psychedelic Bubblegum’ 5 stars!”

Lots of people picking up on the book, according to Don Graham, super sage of promotion.  I, too, thought it a great book.  And just think:  I was there!

Don Sundeen:  “When I was in LA for the Record Promotion Men’s Reunion, great fun, I also had dinner with Don Graham and Scott St. James at Musso & Franks, a sparkling evening filled with amazing stories.  Afterwards, Don gave me an advance copy of Bobby Hart’s new book, ‘Psychedelic Bubble Gum’, to read on the plane home.  I’m no book reviewer, but I do study the history of the radio and records businesses, and Bobby’s book fills in a lot holes.  I knew he and Graham had been friends for 40 years, and the true story of the Monkees alone explains a lot of that relationship.  His time with Tommy Hart and their breakup is honestly explained, but common to music groups.  I think readers who were engaged in the rock world around that time will find it interesting and informational.”

Then he explains about something I printed, by mistake sans attribution, in Commentary No. 64, the item mentioning Stan Cornyn:  “Although this was attached to my website, it was written by contributor Bob Shannon who has already done 20 Questions with John Sebastian, Ken Dowe and Chuck Dunaway (fascinating, Chuck tells it like it was warts and all), and is now in the process of preparing a great interview with Bob Sherwood talking about his amazing career.  Bob was reminiscing about an interview he had done with Stan some years ago and I reprinted it.  Thanks for the mentions.”

Whups!

Dick Summer: “Hey, Claude, thanks for the ‘you're a good writer’.  Coming from you that's golden.  It's one of the chapters in my book.  (‘Staying Happy Healthy And Hot’)  Where did you live in Brooklyn?  I was born and grew up in Bay Ridge.  It was neat.  Good, hard working people.  Lots of stickball and street football.  Beautiful babes.  One of the many reasons I was determined to make it to NY radio was Jeannie Campbell.  She turned me down for a date in High School, and I had good enough numbers that I was pretty sure she must have listened at least a few times.  ‘Ha, Jeannie Campbell!  No, I won't play Misty for you’."

Somewhere near Pratt Institute.  It was a goodly walk to the old Fox Theatre where Murray the K tossed all of those shows.  By the time I lived there, however, the Fox Theatre was no longer a music mecca.  Bobby Vee told me once about being in a show there.  Last night, a burly varmint taller than a sage brush comes in and says that the house hadn’t done as well as expected and everyone was kicking back.  Bobby told me that all of the shows had been packed all week.  “So, I told him I was sorry to hear that and slipped him a twenty and got out of there quick.”

Tom Russell:  “Claude: Looks like I should get Woody Roberts ‘The Rose of Roscrae!’  Have moved to Santa Fe this week, and in a few weeks we begin our West Coast portion of the tour.  Denver, Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, LA, Santa Ynez, San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, Berkeley, Sutter Creek, Reno, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver … hitting some radio along the way, especially KPIG in San Luis and Santa Cruz.  The record continues to make a few friends … here's some of the buzz quotes, below.  I keep enjoying your blog.  Reminds me of when music cut deep through my bones and my ear was tuned to the radio late at night.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zLha1neU8k
www.tomrussell.com
www.facebook.com/russelltom

Larry Cohen:  “Claude: With all of the fanfare & interest emanating from the W. Coast re. the iconic Bobby Hart, the following is a bit of East Coast history regarding Hart as told to me by Frank Lipsius, president/owner of Jamie/Guyden Records in Philadelphia.  In 1962-62, Dandelion Music, was purchased by the late Harold Lipsius, CEO/ owner of Jamie/Guyden Records & it became & grew to be the firm’s most important publishing arm for the next 5 decades.  Fabor Records was part of Dandelion & J/G acquired whatever masters belonged to Fabor, but not the label rights by itself.  According to Frank Lipsius, Fabor then revived the label without J/G & then sold it to Shelby Singleton.  Bobby Hart recorded on Fabor Records under the names(s) of Robert Luke Harshman & Robert Luke Hart.  Interesting to note that Frank e-mailed me that although he is not sure whether he has the original physical tapes or not, that J/G owns the rights to ‘Love Whatcha' Doin' to Me/ Stop Talkin', Start Lovin’ recorded by Robert Luke Harshman on Fabor Records & ‘Girl of My Dreams’/ ‘Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby’ recorded by Robert Luke Harsh on Fabor.  These were part of the masters that came with the Dandelion acquisition some 54 years ago.  If you punch into the SEARCH bar the name, Robert Luke Harshman, you will see these titles listed next to his name.  I don't have his autobiography, but it will be interesting to see if he included Fabor Records as part of his chronology.
F.Y.I., FABOR RECORDS was located in Malibu, CA.

A Dear Friend of Mine Regarding a Future Newsletter:  “Your mention earlier in the month brought two responses (Chuck Buell and John Long) -- which isn't surprising since no one knows to whom they're writing, yet.  My goal is to give all of your readers a link if they have a website or product.  I put up a few that came to mind, but ultimately I hope to have a very long list.  I think once it's in use and folks see it and interact with it, they'll be more likely to participate.  There's nothing we can't do with the site -- audio, video, graphics, pictures, text.  If it's not online but someone wants it to be (like pictures or videos or audio airchecks), I can put it there, if I have it, or if it's sent to me.  For now I'd like the site to revolve around you -- but I want to take the work out of what you're doing to distribute it.  (I haven't yet looked at the mailing lists you gave me, but when we're ready to go, I will.)  As time goes on, you can do as much, or as little as you like.  But honestly, it's really your community, and I'm sure everyone agrees with me that we'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.  Sorry this has taken so long.”

To My Friend:  “Forget me.  I want you to be the focus from day one.  Sure, I’ll continue with a weekly Commentary.  And thank you for suggesting that I do so.  When you get ready, I’ll send out a notice how everyone can find Commentary, i.e., your newsletter site.  And it’s nice that you’re going to have an archive.”

Get in line now, good people.  Send your email address and whatever you wish to link to:  info@voxjox.org.

By the way, I’ve seen an “advance” copy.  You guys are going to like this one!  And, yes, this person has the rights to Vox Jox.

Both Kevin Gershan and Rob Jacobs sent in this Robert W. Morgan link:
https://youtu.be/DIhTIyWSxwI?list=FLKRIe5JN6XcIm_9M2YPDIHQ

Kevin Gershan:  “Robert W. Morgan entertained the Los Angeles radio audience for over three decades. His unique sense of timing, wit and charm earned him a place of honor in the entertainment industry. He won almost every major award the industry has to offer including Charter membership in the National Broadcasters Hall of Fame, along with Larry King, Ted Turner, Art Linkletter and Gary Owens. He received Billboard Magazine’s Air Personality of the Year Award, and a Star on the World Famous Hollywood Walk of Fame.  On Friday January 9, 1998, Robert W. Morgan was honored with a star-studded retirement tribute at the Museum of Television & Radio in Beverly Hills hosted by K-EARTH 101. They aired a three-hour broadcast live from the museum’s theatre, ending with a special retrospective narrated by another broadcasting legend and personal friend … Dick Clark.  On May 22, 1998, Robert W. Morgan lost his battle with lung cancer. The Boss-ography is the story of his life.”

And that’s a wrap for this week.  Love you guys!

No comments: